Creating a morning ritual allows you to set the foundations of your day and start it YOUR way. A morning ritual consists of several different elements that allow you to work on YOU…It’s important to remember that a morning ritual isn’t about sneaking in some household chores or ticking off the to-do list, it’s about practicing elements that enrich your life before the daily grind of your day commences.
My morning ritual looks like this:
- Waking at 0530 every morning
- Boiling the kettle and pouring myself a “hot lemon”
- Meditating for 10 minutes. This usually involves mantra meditation
- Drinking my hot lemon (by then it’s at the perfect drinking temperature!)
- Waking the dog from his slumber (he’s like a teenage boy, never wants to get up!)
- Alternating with my husband between:
- Driving to the beach for a morning walk with my four-legged friend
- Going to the gym or heading out for a run
Doing this daily helps me check off the following elements:
- Mind – by way of meditation
- Move – by way of walk/gym/run
- Nourish – by way of a hot lemon to cleanse the body ahead of breakfast
Choosing components that ring true to you are important in creating a morning ritual that you’ll want to practice and that you’ll stick to. A morning ritual brings balance, stability and routine to your life to ensure you “tick off” elements that are important to you before the madness of daily life kicks in.
Other ritual elements you may like to explore can include:
- 10 minutes of Yoga practice
- A Gratitude Journal
- A gym class
- Sitting quietly and drinking a herbal tea
- Setting five intentions for your day
Try it today, and remember – it can take 21 days to form a habit, so stick to it! I guarantee you’ll feel more balanced and satisfied because of it.
What are the elements that make up your morning ritual? I’d love to hear from you, please comment below.
Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy — Guillaume Apollinaire